Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Reality of Lyme

Sometimes, even on my non-crazy brain days :), I laugh out loud at this whole experience of mine. "This is so real." I say.

Having Lyme disease, I do my best, every day, to deal with whatever symptoms I'm handed for that day. I'm constantly pulling myself together and doing my best to be strong, move forward, have faith, remain hopeful and remember that Heavenly Father is aware of my suffering, my strengths, my weaknesses, my potential.

I tend to suppress the reality of what I'm dealing with. "It's not that bad." my subconscious tells me. But then, many times, I wake up to how much and how long I have been struggling on a particularly hard day and think just that, "this is so real!" And it almost seems funny.

So, why not see a regular Western Medicine doctor? Along with going with my gut instincts or promptings of the spirit or common sense, I've done my researching. Antibiotics can help people who just recently and knowingly got a tick bite and got that bulls eye mark following it.

After you've had it for many years and it's become chronic (and your digestive system has already lost it's state of homeostasis due to an imbalance of good and bad bacteria from prolonged antibiotic use as a teenager because of acne) antibiotics are not the answer. Most often the Lyme may recede only to emerge later with a vengeance! Paralysis and death can or will occur in such common situations.

Kyla is one person dealing with Lyme. She explains a bit about this:

You might be thinking, “Why can’t you just take antibiotics if Lyme disease is caused by bacteria?” Well, you can. If the tick bites you in an area you can see, if you develop a telltale bulls-eye rash or other telling symptoms and seek prompt medical treatment, a heavy dose of antibiotics might do the trick. If, however, you don’t realize you have Lyme disease until almost 2 years later, like me, it is much more difficult to treat. The Lyme spirochetes are smart, and they are relentless. They burrow through connective tissue like a corkscrew, faster than things can move through your bloodstream. They encapsulate when they detect a hostile environment, and then reemerge later when the “coast is clear”. They enter and destroy tissue in every organ in your body. They literally “eat” brain tissue, causing memory loss. They like to hide in the pericardial sack around your heart, causing palpitations and heart damage. They damage your liver, your kidneys, and just about every other important organ of your body.

So what am I feeling today?

Woke up shaky
Lots of eye pressure
Tired
Muscle weakness esp. in shoulders and neck
Dizzy / Wavy thinking and visual disturbances
Muscle stiffness esp. in neck and shoulders
Inability to respond well to info. around me
Slight head bobbing when still

Today's not a very good day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment